Forum
jpehs2007-06-08 17:37:54
I've just installed Quicktext with Thunderbird 2.0. I create a template group and a few templates running under it. I click save lots of times and close down the options window. I've exported my templates to a file in an accessible location, and typed that location correctly in the General tab, under 'Import on startup'. While I run Thunderbird in the same session, everything's fine and the extension works perfectly. But when I restart Thunderbird, all my templates are gone. The xml file I tell it to import on startup is ignored, and even when I manually try to import a file, it does nothing. If I want to use the templates I have to recreate them manually each time.

Does anybody know what's going wrong?
WizKid2007-06-09 17:45:53
Why do you export them and choose to import them on startup? Because then Quicktext will both try to load the one you saved and the one you choose to import at startup.

Do you see any errors in the Tools -> Error Console when you try to save and after you started Thunderbird?

After you saved could you check your Thunderbird profile folder (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder) and check for a quicktext folder and in that you should find templates.xml.
jpehs2007-06-11 17:07:24
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I still can't get it to work. In response to your questions:

1. I only tried exporting and telling it to import on startup at the third attempt, when I discovered that my templates were lost as soon as I shut down TB. I wanted some way of retaining them. But although I keep experimenting with having something or nothing in the 'import on startup' box, and simply creating new templates from scratch and hitting save, nothing helps. Still all I can get it to do is to save my templates during the same TB session, but lose them afterwards. And it will *never* import anything, either automatically at startup or manually when I ask it to.

2. There are no errors in the Error Console either at startup or after I try to save templates. (As I say, the templates work fine during the same TB session.)

3. No templates.xml is saved in the TB profile folder, but I've experimented with putting one there, and still nothing happens.

Any further thoughts gratefully received!
WizKid2007-06-12 13:07:59
3. templates.xml should be in a quicktext-folder that is created in the TB profile folder.

My guess is there is some problem with Quicktext importing the templates. Both import at startup and the normal loading is done in the same way.

Could you create a template and then save and export that file and email it to me (emil [AT] hesslow.se). And I could look at the file and see if I see any errors in the file.
jpoettgen2008-07-28 14:09:17
I have the same problem. I can create new quicktext and they would be saved and when I import something, this would not work.
riger2008-12-09 17:17:42
I have the same issue. Is there a fix somewhere? Please? Thank you.
Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum