Forum
mepolite2007-11-14 17:02:43
I've been using QuickText for about a week. When I started Thunderbird this morning and went to write an email, I noticed there was no drop down menu for any templates. Recreating the templates and restarting Thunderbird puts them there, but they all disappear again after another restart or two. Any ideas?
WizKid2007-11-14 18:35:31
If you look in the Thunderbird profile-folder there should be a folder called Quicktext. In that folder you find templates.xml.

What you can do is to save that file when you have created all templates. And then if all templates disappear please look in that folder and check if templates.xml have changed.
WebWeaver642007-11-20 21:34:39
This has also been happening to me as well, for about a month now. I've been slowing uninstalling other add-ons to try and track it down, so far no luck. It works for a few days, and than bam, my templates are gone. I'm thinking it might have to do with Sunbird, or Lightning as it's called when installed with Thunderbird. I had exported my templates or thought I did, but I can't import them either. I'll keep trying to track down when and where it's happening...
mepolite2007-11-26 03:31:03
I've uninstalled lightning. We'll see what happens. Also, the problem seems to be following me. Same thing happened to my TBPortable install as well.
WizKid2007-11-26 21:24:14
TBPortable does magic things with the profile so if it don't work I have no idea what it could be.
mepolite2007-11-27 17:36:16
same things are still happening on all my Thunderbird installs. one portable and one on an XP machine.
WizKid2007-11-27 21:07:22
Have you found the Quicktext-folder and checked if stuff is being saved? Are there any errors in the Tools -> Error Console?
WebWeaver642007-11-28 20:35:30
I had no errors in the Tools, and I've actually lost my notes on what add-ons I had installed. It has been working fine since my last post. I am trying to pay attention to what I'm doing and when it happens. As for checking the Quicktext folder, are you asking if the day modified changes? How would we know if something is being saved or not?
GSoulis2008-02-25 11:44:53
I had this problem, too, but for me there was an error message about a XML tab in th log. Perhaps there something like that in your and you just did not make the connection.
I opened the template XML file and looked at the line mentioned in the error message. It turned out that it was the end of a message body containing some '<' and '>' characters. I changed them to '(' and ')' saved the XML file and restarted Thunderbird. And vouala! Quicktext was working fine again.
My guess is that the '<' and '>' characters need to escaped properly, otherwise when the template is read there is an error parsing the XML file and no template is loaded.
Hope it works for you!
mwallace2011-08-18 00:12:35
This bug has resurfaced. It happened to me today. Sequence:

upgraded TB to 6.0
upgraded Quicktext to 9.11.1 (for TB 5 and 6)
Next day, Templates.xml disappeared from the QUICKTEXT folder.
RickBisc2017-08-16 02:15:52
Ten years have passed and still the templates are deleted of their own accord - you would think by now that there would be a backup option so we did not lose them! Thank you ShadowProtect I have mine back!
Paroparo132017-09-03 01:45:35
I have 2 problems as described below, which I think is the same symptom as mwallace, and I believe this is most likely due to the failure in recognition of templates.xml file by Thunderbird/Quicktext.

1) Imported templates not normally displayed in Quicktext setting
When the template is imported from the copy of templates.xml file, nothing shows up in the "title" column on the left in the setting. Interestingly, however, I can now see the slide bar and if I click the "Title" column (although nothing is shown), now the contents of the templates are shown in the "Template" column on the right, indicating that actually templates are imported but not correctly displayed.

2) Templates cannot be saved:
The imported templates cannot be saved as save button does not work in the setting. When the setting window is forcefully closed, a dialog window to ask whether it should be saved or not shows up. Even if save option is chosen and closed, no templates are seen when reopen the Quicktext setting window. Interestingly, the size of templates.xml file seems to be increased (doubled) after this procedure, suggesting that the templates may actually be imported but these are not correctly recognized by Thunderbird/Quicktext. Needless to say, even a new template cannot be created as nothing can be saved.

I wonder if there is any way to avoid these problems.
Paroparo132017-09-03 02:20:02
I have 2 problems as described below, which I think is the same symptom as mwallace, and I believe this is most likely due to the failure in recognition of templates.xml file by Thunderbird/Quicktext.

1) Imported templates not normally displayed in Quicktext setting
When the template is imported from the copy of templates.xml file, nothing shows up in the "title" column on the left in the setting. Interestingly, however, I can now see the slide bar and if I click the "Title" column (although nothing is shown), now the contents of the templates are shown in the "Template" column on the right, indicating that actually templates are imported but not correctly displayed.

2) Templates cannot be saved:
The imported templates cannot be saved as save button does not work in the setting. When the setting window is forcefully closed, a dialog window to ask whether it should be saved or not shows up. Even if save option is chosen and closed, no templates are seen when reopen the Quicktext setting window. Interestingly, the size of templates.xml file seems to be increased (doubled) after this procedure, suggesting that the templates may actually be imported but these are not correctly recognized by Thunderbird/Quicktext. Needless to say, even a new template cannot be created as nothing can be saved.

I wonder if there is any way to avoid these problems.
Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum