Forum
thg12006-11-04 10:36:15
I just upgraded from 0.9.7.2 to 0.9.9.9, but if I use a template
with scripting, it is not executed and the name of the script
is inserted to the mail body.
Is there something I have to mind on upgrading?
WizKid2006-11-04 14:12:48
What do you mean by scripting? I guess you mean variable? If so which variable do you use?
thg12006-11-04 15:14:26
No, I mean the javascript feature introduced in 0.9.7. Here's a quote from your changelog:

"There is also possible to add your own tags and connect them to a javascript-function."
WizKid2006-11-04 15:51:11
You are right there was some kind of really basic scripting support before. I must say that I had forgot that it I even added it then.

In 0.9.9.9 I have improved the Scripting support very much but it only exists in the Pro version. More about the Script support you can find here: http://extensions.hesslow.se/text/1/Script+Support/
thg12006-11-04 17:31:50
Do you consider to re-introduce "basic scripting support" in the free version?
WizKid2006-11-04 17:57:49
The basic scripting support was really just a quick hack I just made to test if it was possible. It wasn't really meant for people to use it. So there is no plans of adding it again.
thg12006-11-04 18:22:02
On your Website you claim: "To make the Pro version I have taken the free version and added more features to it. I haven't removed any feature from the free version [...]".

This is ridiculous. You removed a feature for making people by the commercial version. This is really bad style. What will be the next features you will cancel?
WizKid2006-11-04 18:47:09
I'm very sorry about that. As I said before I had forgot that I even added that feature to the public version and because of that I was not aware that I removed it.

The problem of adding it again would mean that I need to rewrite all code for it because the latest version is totally rewritten.

I can guaranty that I didn't removed it on purpose to sell the Pro-version. I don't want to argue but if all I thought about was to sell as many version of the Pro version as possible I must say that is was a very bad move to release the 0.9.9.9 version of the Free version. There is also nothing that stops you from continue using 0.9.7.2 with the basic script support.

Again I'm sorry that the feature was removed but now is it to much work to add it again for the very few people that used the feature. You are the first one that tell me that the feature was removed and still several thousands of people have updated to 0.9.9.9.
thg12006-11-04 19:21:16
> I don't want to argue but if all I thought about was to sell as many version of the Pro version
> as possible I must say that is was a very bad move to release the 0.9.9.9 version of the Free version.

No, you need a good free version as an appetizer for the commercial version.

> There is also nothing that stops you from continue using 0.9.7.2 with the basic script support.

Perhaps (one of) the next version(s) of TB?

> You are the first one that tell me that the feature was removed

I suspected that my request won't succeed. Maybe others just skip wasting time.
WizKid2006-11-04 19:44:29
I'm sorry you feel the way you do. But as I said before I didn't remove it on purpose and now it would be to much work to add it again. I know that there isn't any way I can prove it but it's the truth.

Can I ask what kind of script you have written? It may be something that should be a part Quicktext.
meptalon2006-11-11 10:29:54
Hi all,

thg1, I understand your concern, but I don't think WizKid is just here to sell as many pro versions as possible... What I see from this thread is an extension developer worried about having one more of its users happy.

Do you really think that, if he was only after a few more bucks, he would just bother and try to find a solution for you without having to rewrite large portions of code?

The free version is largely enough to cover the needs of 99% of users. Even the "intensive" email producers can find a lot of their repetitive tasks (different HTML signatures, quick templates, etc.) covered by this version. The extra features of the pro version are, in my opinion, more of a small bonus to say "thank you" to those wishing to help support his developing efforts than features made to have people buy a non-free version. How many people do you really think that scripting will be appealing to? If it were a business scheme, it would be a really bad and stupid one.
Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum