Forum
RDL19842016-04-22 20:16:25
@Ray Kremer 2016-04-21 18:02:54 "rkent, You are my hero.."
And rather a brave one too, if you think about it..

@Algy 2016-04-22 12:01:10 "Hmmm, maybe I don't need to know where the code is, since looking at comment 17 (on Bugzilla link above) gave me the fixed Quicktext version."

If the free version has all the features you need, then comment 17 is your current best solution. I don't know if you have to pay for a licence (no spam please :D ) but so long as you cover yourself, I imagine using the free version would be included.

If not, then you need to apply those patches to the pro version. the .xpi file you need to edit is

quicktext-0.9.11.5-tb.xpi

which you can download from
bottom of AMO "Qucktext" page
"Version Information" (open the drop down arrows) > "other versions"
Find version 0.9.11.5 in the list
Hover (your mouse cursor)around the righthand side of that entry
until the "Download Now" button appears button
Right-click the button
Choose "Save Link As.."
Choose a suitable one of your own olders in which to save it
and do so.

Easiest) Use 7-Zip to open (Open Archive") and navigate through the .xpi file

In "Comment 7" of the bug report,
click on "[diff]" to see what the changes are and in what file.

In 7-Zip
========
Open the .xpi file you downloaded.
For each file to be edited in the .xpi (see "[diff]")
Navigate to it
Right-click it and
Choose "Edit"
Apply your edits

In the 7-zip, editor, I search for the text in the .xpi files but you may be using an editor which includes line numbers - so you can use them.

When you've done all the edits for that file
Save (NOT "Save As")
Close the editor (NOT 7-Zip)
Agree to update the archive

Navigate to the next file you need to edit
and so on..

When you have finished all required edits and all files have been updated in the archive
Use the 7-Zip up-arrow to back right out of the .xpi file

and up to a safe distance from the folder it's in.

Close 7-Zip

You're ready to use the new .xpi file to install the new version using "Install Add-on from File" in the cogwheel dropdown menu in the Thunderbird Extensions Manager window.

Make a backup of your profile first!!

When you've tested your update OK then you may wish to apply more patches, such as the on for [CURSOR]
If you do, you may apply it/them to the new file you already made.
Use the same editing technique to find the text and change it in the correct file(s) according to the patch instructions but, of course, you won't have a "[diff]" to guide you.
RDL19842016-04-22 20:16:51
@Ray Kremer 2016-04-21 18:02:54 "rkent, You are my hero.."
And rather a brave one too, if you think about it..

@Algy 2016-04-22 12:01:10 "Hmmm, maybe I don't need to know where the code is, since looking at comment 17 (on Bugzilla link above) gave me the fixed Quicktext version."

If the free version has all the features you need, then comment 17 is your current best solution. I don't know if you have to pay for a licence (no spam please :D ) but so long as you cover yourself, I imagine using the free version would be included.

If not, then you need to apply those patches to the pro version. the .xpi file you need to edit is

quicktext-0.9.11.5-tb.xpi

which you can download from
bottom of AMO "Qucktext" page
"Version Information" (open the drop down arrows) > "other versions"
Find version 0.9.11.5 in the list
Hover (your mouse cursor)around the righthand side of that entry
until the "Download Now" button appears button
Right-click the button
Choose "Save Link As.."
Choose a suitable one of your own olders in which to save it
and do so.

Easiest) Use 7-Zip to open (Open Archive") and navigate through the .xpi file

In "Comment 7" of the bug report,
click on "[diff]" to see what the changes are and in what file.

In 7-Zip
========
Open the .xpi file you downloaded.
For each file to be edited in the .xpi (see "[diff]")
Navigate to it
Right-click it and
Choose "Edit"
Apply your edits

In the 7-zip, editor, I search for the text in the .xpi files but you may be using an editor which includes line numbers - so you can use them.

When you've done all the edits for that file
Save (NOT "Save As")
Close the editor (NOT 7-Zip)
Agree to update the archive

Navigate to the next file you need to edit
and so on..

When you have finished all required edits and all files have been updated in the archive
Use the 7-Zip up-arrow to back right out of the .xpi file

and up to a safe distance from the folder it's in.

Close 7-Zip

You're ready to use the new .xpi file to install the new version using "Install Add-on from File" in the cogwheel dropdown menu in the Thunderbird Extensions Manager window.

Make a backup of your profile first!!

When you've tested your update OK then you may wish to apply more patches, such as the on for [CURSOR]
If you do, you may apply it/them to the new file you already made.
Use the same editing technique to find the text and change it in the correct file(s) according to the patch instructions but, of course, you won't have a "[diff]" to guide you.
RDL19842016-04-22 20:33:39
Sorry about the multiple copies. Don't know why they happened and can't see any way to delete the extras.
Anke2016-04-26 16:05:57
Thank you for all the tipps. I found an easier solution for myself: I installed the Quicktext patch in addition to Quicktext Pro, and now my templates are there in both addons. (Not a clean solution, but it works.)

It's a pity though that there's no word from Hesslow. I last paid for Quicktex Pro in August 2015, so I wonder what will happen this summer when the license expires ... It would have been nice to hand over the development of this addon to someone else.
dwain2016-04-27 02:40:09
After installing Tbird 45 I was unable to find or use my quicktext templates. I followed instructions on importing them, and got them in duplicate (perhaps I imported twice when I still could not find the templates in the quicktext editing panel).

I've installed Quicktext 0.9.11.6 but still cannot see templates created with a previous version in the editing panel (though they are there in duplicate in the quicktext toolbar in messages I create).

Any help in getting those visible and available for editing would be much appreciated.
RDL19842016-04-28 02:14:27
@dwain:

Whose instructions? That will not fix anything permanently. Why did you re-install 0.9.11.6? It is faulty in TB45. Try reading this thread from the beginning.

If you use the free version of Quicktext, follow the instructions in the following Mozilla bug report post to obtain and install a fixed version which should solve all your problems.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c25

If you use Quicktext Pro (paid-for version) you will need to apply the patches by following the instructions in one of my four (4) duplicate posts above. !!!! However, first note my correction below !!!!

To any users of Quicktext Pro
=============================
who read any of my four (4) duplicate posts above and, quite correctly, thought I was totally dozy for telling you to edit the free version, please note:

Very sorry about that.

Instead of this bit:

> which you can download from
> bottom of AMO "Qucktext" page
> "Version Information" (open the drop down arrows) > "other versions"
> Find version 0.9.11.5 in the list
> Hover (your mouse cursor)around the righthand side of that entry
> until the "Download Now" button appears button
> Right-click the button
> Choose "Save Link As.."

Do the following:

Make a copy of the Quicktext Pro version 0.9.11.5 extension .xpi file and then, for *that* file copy, follow the edit and install instructions I listed.

If, for some reason, you can't get that to work, you might investigate the solution posted here by Anke (2016-04-26 16:05:57).

Can you see and edit existing templates and create new ones, Anke?

Can you use all the 'Pro' features?
grobisesam2016-04-28 08:47:40
I'm sorry but I really don't get what to do in this fix.
Where do I get the file? Where do I get the version and where do I put it after I edit it. And what do I edit in the file and where?

Could you put the fix in layman's terms?
yacine2016-04-28 13:59:53
I updated TB, and quick-text templates all gone. I applied the patch proposed by somjue 2016-04-19 18:36:54 here,
http://share.emailto.ch/51705-quicktext0.xpi and everything seems to be back and working Thanks to those who helped.
RDL19842016-04-28 23:23:12
@grobisesam (2016-04-28 08:47:40)

> I'm sorry but I really don't get what to do in this fix.
> Where do I get the file? Where do I get the version and where do I put
> it after I edit it. And what do I edit in the file and where?

Did you (a) pay money for the "Quicktext Pro" product ?

or (b) Did you just download the free one (from this site or from Mozilla Add-ons)?

If (a) you paid for your version and you can't understand enough of the posts in this thread to do what you need, then I can't see you being able to apply the required patches. You might try using the free version instead.

If (b) you just downloaded/installed the free one (from this site or from Mozilla Add-ons then you don't need to edit anything. There is already a ready-to-use fixed version.

Copy and paste this address into your Firefox address window

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c17

Press your 'Enter' key.

A post in a Mozilla bug report will be displayed.
In it you will see a link to the fixed file (it ends in '.xpi', the file type)

Click on the link.

You will be offered the choice to 'Open' or to 'Save' the file.

Do NOT choose to 'Open'
Choose to 'Save'.
Then click the 'OK' button.

In the resulting 'File Picker' dialogue window,
choose (navigate to and open) a folder where you would like to store your saved file.
(Note: that is simply a safe place to put the file before you use it. Do not attempt to use a folder which Thunderbird uses. Use one of your own data storage folders).

Note down the name of the file and of the folder where you intend to store it.
Click the 'Save' button.

Close Firefox.

Open Thunderbird.

Open the 'Add-ons' panel/window.
(I can use Thunderbird Menu > 'Tools' > 'Add-ons' to do that).

In that panel/window click the 'Tools for all add-ons' button. Mine looks like a cogwheel.
In the resulting menu

Choose and click on the 'Install Add-on From File..' entry/line.
In the resulting file picker dialogue/window

Navigate to and open the folder where you already saved/stored your copy of the fixed .xpi file.

In that folder, select (click on/highlight) the fixed .xpi file.

Click the 'Open' Button.
Wait a little.

When/If asked, agree to install that add-on ('install Now'/'OK'/'Yes'/'Agreed' or whatever).

When that box disappears
Close Thunderbird.

Start Thunderbird again.

Quicktext should now be working normally.

> Could you put the fix in layman's terms?

I don't know. You tell me.
jecook2016-04-29 08:37:31
It took me a while to get this correct but after uninstalling Quicktext and following the above instructions I managed to get the patched version installed after a few attampts.

The reason for the several attempts was due to the fact that even after the installation of the patched version I still had no templates (Signatures) and could not seem to load the old templates.xml file.

I also missed the 'Signatures' dropdwon list which used to appear below the message formatting controls.

Finally getting my brain cell into gear it occurred to me to create a new 'Signatures' group and then re-enter the signature templates again. Lo & behold Quicktext was back!

For people with a lot of groups/templates there must be a less tedious option, fortunately I only have the one group and a few signature templates.

Cheers,
JEC
willsphil2016-04-30 14:33:54
@RDL1984 (2016-04-28 02:14:27)

1/ I tried to modify the pro-version, starting from:
quicktextpro_0.9.11.5.xpi

And following the instructions in:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8741889&action=diff

This "hand-made" patch gives fully functional templates... as long as there is NO attachment in them!
:-(

If there is an attachment, calling the template will not add anything to the mail.

2/ I tried AGAIN, starting from:
quicktextpro_0.9.11.6.xpi

Same result!

3/ I tried the solution described by:
@Anke (2016-04-26 16:05:57)

That is:
- Install the NON-pro-patched-version in addition to the pro-NON-patched-version.
[I hope you are following! ;-) ]

In this case, the attachments in the templates are NOT added to the mail (but the text is).
It looks like the pro-version functions are simply ignored.

At this point, I do not know what to do anymore...
:-((((

@Anke
The license was only implemented to grant you access to the updates, during 1 year.
As Hesslow is no longer providing any upgrade, it has become useless.
johnwrites2016-04-30 20:13:20
@ somjue

Thanks for that patch. Works fine on T'BIRD 45 on my 64 bit win 7 and 32 bit win 7 virtual
johnwrites2016-04-30 20:13:31
@ somjue

Thanks for that patch. Works fine on T'BIRD 45 on my 64 bit win 7 and 32 bit win 7 virtual
johnwrites2016-04-30 20:13:51
@ somjue

johnwrites2016-04-30 20:16:05
sorry about the triplicate - don't know what happened
RDL19842016-04-30 21:21:23
@willsphil (2016-04-30 14:33:54)

> This "hand-made" patch gives fully functional templates... as long as there is NO attachment in them! :-(

> If there is an attachment, calling the template will not add anything to the mail.

I don't have personal knowledge of this problem, since I only use the free version. However, I believe it may be the problem mentioned by rkent 2016-02-16 06:28:04 on page 1 of this current topic:

( Hesslow Extensions
http://extensions.hesslow.se/forum/thread/750/Quicktext+on+Thunderbird+45/ )

and the AMO review post he mentions is possibly this one:

Quicktext :: Reviews :: Add-ons for Thunderbird
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/quicktext/reviews/?page=2#review-736544

which does offer an email address for getting a solution. Safety of that address unknown but you could contact rkent (email in first post of this current topic) to see if he had any luck obtaining the fix.

Otherwise, I suppose that, if he has time available, there might be a basis for collaboration with rkent on a fix since he is clearly more than capable but may not have the full Pro code to work on.

@ecook (2016-04-29 08:37:31)

> The reason for the several attempts was due to the fact that even after the installation of the patched version I still had no templates (Signatures) and could not seem to load the old templates.xml file.

I think I was lucky, since, as soon as I saw what TB45.0 did to Quicktext, I retreated to previous TB. Then, thanks to various others who posted and bugged, I was able to gather up and apply all relevant patches to make and install a fixed Quicktext version. *After* that, I re-updated to TB45.0 and the templates were fine.

Others reported that, if they had 'Exported' their templates before the upgrade (? or simply before applying the fix in TB45.0 ?) they could 'Import' them to the patched Quicktext version and get them back that way.

After applying the patches, did you make sure TB was fully closed before replacing the entire 'Quicktext' folder in the profile with one from a trusted pre-TB45.0 backup/copy ?

More interestingly/significantly;

I also see a lot of Quicktext data in 'prefs.js' so

perhaps you also needed, at the same time,
(and while TB was still closed) to

copy ALL of those Quicktext lines
from prefs.js in a pre-TB45.0 profile copy/backup
into the prefs.js of the post patch profile.

(I think that, to keep those edits isolated, controlled and manageable, I would have done that using the 'user.js' file and then, after reloading TB and the edit (hopefully) proved to be working, commented them out of 'user.js' (not prefs.js). But that's just my preferred way of doing such things.)

Anyone wanting to try that should be very careful and also, as always, be sure to back up their Thunderbird profile before starting!
RDL19842016-04-30 21:53:23
@RDL1984 (2016-04-30 21:21:23)

(> @willsphil (2016-04-30 14:33:54)..)

> which does offer an email address for getting a solution.

Not actually an email address but a link to a German Thunderbird support forum and a possible contact with s1n88 who offers the patch. Otherwise the rest stands.
grant@paramountcentre.com2016-05-15 23:45:06
QuicktextPro Version 0.9.11.6
I have tried the changes as describe in getting Pro to work and still do not see the Template Menu on the new email window.
I can get the free version work just fine.
I only have access to the 0.9.11.6 version and the instructions are written for the 0.9.11.5 version.
Will these modifications work on 0.9.11.6? If not, how can I get an older version of like 0.9.11.5?
Thanks
markus2016-05-18 00:44:56
I got a prompt for thunderbird 45.01. Will quicktext work with that if i update?
esailor2016-05-19 00:14:04
@rkent: Thanks you so much for your fix.
It made my day and saves me hours every day.

@somjue: Thanks for pointing us to bugzilla(!) for that fix.

I will now buy the pro license (if it works with TBv45) after I realized how much time I am saving daily.

1 2 3
Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum