Forum
RDL19842016-05-20 00:39:53
@markus (2016-05-18 00:44:56)
>I got a prompt for thunderbird 45.01. Will quicktext work with that if i update?

1) If you are already using TB45.0 or TB45.0.1
AND you have already fixed the Quicktext problem by installing one of the patched (fixed) Quicktext versions described/linked to earlier in this topic, then you need not worry. The patched/fixed Quicktext version will continue to work in TB45.1.0.

However

2) If you have not yet installed one of those patched (fixed) Quicktext versions, then you should not expect Quicktext to work in TB45.1.0.

3) The Quicktext problem is caused by Quicktext not being updated to keep up with changes in the way TB works. TB45.1.0 cannot cure that. The Quicktext patches are required to make those updates to Quicktext.

4) If you are still using TB38.7.2, you can install one of the patched Quicktext versions in TB38.7.2 and it will still work. Then, when you do update to TB45.0 or TB45.1.0, you should have no Quicktext problem at all.
RDL19842016-05-20 00:59:36
@esailor (2016-05-19 00:14:04)

>I will now buy the pro license (if it works with TBv45) after I realized how much time I am saving daily.

Please note that the ready-made patched versions are only the free Quicktext.

If licensing does not simply activate code already present in all versions of Quicktext, then to use 'Quicktext Pro' on TB45.0 or later, for licensing reasons, you would need to apply the patches, yourself, to your own licensed copy of 'Quicktext Pro'.

The published patches were designed to be applied to Quicktext 0.9.11.5.
The current version of Quicktext is 0.9.11.6. I do not know if the patches can be applied to 0.9.11.6 to make it work.

Probably you should contact rkent (email on first page this topic) to check that with him.
Dennis Harris2016-05-22 11:13:47
Uninstalled .6 and installed 0.9.11.7 of Quicktext and it now works with TBird 45.1.0. Thanks to the volunteers that fixed this!

Please Mr. Hesslow if you are not going to maintain this useful tool just turn over license to the Thunderbird team so that they can patch it to work with new versions and incorporate it into install files like they have with Lightning.
AbaGraf.com2016-05-24 18:14:43
I purchased the Pro version for the File Auto-attachment feature but it does not function at all!

Is there any way for us non-programmer users to make it work?

I would be very greatful since this will make my days much more productive.

Thanks.
jjhrad2016-05-27 00:36:56
How to solve QuickText Pro in Thunderbird 45 ??
RDL19842016-05-27 04:17:42
@AllUsers: Please note latest posts on this Mozilla bug report.

1209425 - Quicktext Addon - Technical Problem.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c58

and posts following that one.

and see here that the currently new latest _free_ version on AMO (Mozilla Add-ons) works on TB45.

Quicktext :: Add-ons for Thunderbird
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/quicktext/

Thanks very much to rkent for the new version on AMO and for driving this and future progress.
Ingo2016-05-29 08:23:36
Sorry, RDL 1984, Qicktext 0.9.11.7, don't work with TB 45 on my PC.
1-2 Min. Time for starting TB, for since 30 sec. no reply if I would change something in QT an than i get this "Skript: chrome://quicktext/content/settings.js:446". It iss not (!) the PRO version.
Thank you for any idea.
RDL19842016-05-30 02:31:27
@Ingo: (2016-05-29 08:23:36)
> Sorry, RDL 1984, Qicktext 0.9.11.7, don't work with TB 45 on my PC.
1-2 Min. Time for starting TB, for since 30 sec. no reply if I would change something in QT an than i get this "Skript: chrome://quicktext/content/settings.js:446". It iss not (!) the PRO version.
> Thank you for any idea.

a) No need to apologize to me. I'm not the author of any of these fixes (not enough brain :) ). As far as I know, the version on AMO will have been tested by rkent who is a TB expert (chair of the "Thunderbird Council", I think).

b) Did you uninstall your previous Quicktext and reload TB before installing 0.9.11.7?

c) What operating system and version are you using?

d) What happens if you try running TB with all extensions and and themes disabled except Quicktext?

If Quicktext then works, you need to look at your other add-ons for the cause.

e) Exactly what change are you trying to make?
julie@hisplaceresort.net2016-05-30 19:26:17
I have the Quicktext *Pro* version.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the patched version 0.9.11.7.
I have Thunderbird 45.1.0, but can update to 45.1.1 if necessary.
It is still having serious problems.
1.) The sharing templates have to be reimported each time you start TB
2.) The sharing templates keep duplicating themselves inside the xml file
3.) The shortcuts no longer work
4.) The templates themselves no longer show under Quicktext pro settings (even though they are there), so in order to do any editing, you have to close out, edit the xml file manually, and re-start TB

I'm limping along, but if I'm understanding these posts correctly, no one with the *Pro* version has been able to make 0.9.11.7 work?

Thanks for any help! I appreciate you all in advance...
RDL19842016-05-31 00:55:37
@julie@hisplaceresort.net (2016-05-30 19:26:17)
> I have the Quicktext *Pro* version.
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled the patched version 0.9.11.7.
> I have Thunderbird 45.1.0, but can update to 45.1.1 if necessary.

The only "patched version 0.9.11.7" I know is only the free version. It does not provide the extra "Pro" features.

On this site, I only see version 0.9.11.6 of Quicktext Pro. It seems that, contrary to expectations elsewhere, unless it actually delivers a version 0.9.11.7 or equivalent when you download, or from some post in the forum (which I cannot access), then there is still no Quicktext Pro version ready patched for this problem.

Apparently you can manually apply all available patches to Quicktext Pro 0.9.11.5 and get it working in TB45 etc. If you are not able to download a copy of 0.9.11.5, you *might* also, from that, be able to work out how to apply the patch(es) to 0.9.11.6.

Please note that a "patched version" is not the same as "a patch". The latter is a change which must be applied (eg by manually editing or perhaps by running a program) to create the new, "patched" version.

To find out how to apply the patch which you need to use Quicktext Pro in TB45, carefully read this thread from the beginning.

You will find references to the Mozilla "Bugzilla" bug report where you will find a post giving details of the essential patch. That post gives access to an excellent "diff" display detailing the content and location of required differences between the patched and unpatched versions. Line numbers may vary but text searches are enough to locate correct positions.

Ignore references to any "ready patched" Quicktext. That is only the free ("Basic") version.

In addition, (in this current thread) you will find some descriptions of methods you can use to actually apply that patch.

In that bug report, you will also find a reference, in post

1209425 – Quicktext Addon - Technical Problem.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c61

to two other patches which might be useful to you. You would also need to apply those manually.
RDL19842016-06-03 04:44:16
@All Quicktext Pro users: Good news from rkent!

Please see following Mozilla Bugzilla post by rkent.

1209425 - Quicktext Addon - Technical Problem - Comment 69 at:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c69

dev662016-08-03 04:53:51
Thank you guys for all your hard work. I bought the paid version back when. If only Emil would hand over the keys to this particular ride. I code and would be happy to help-out.
Best,
mcoates2016-08-16 00:33:58
Hello all, been a user for about 10 years and suffering a lot since we have not had proper support. Tried to get everything going the other day and had a big push and downloaded the latest version of the Thunderbird support website which is referenced in this correspondence chain. Everything works perfectly again but it introduces another bug into Thunderbird and that is when you click an unread message to read the content it actually leaves the message as unread about 80% of the time, sometimes you click the message and it goes from bold to normal which is the normal behaviour, other times it doesn't. It is completely reproducible every time and if you disable quick text pro there are no issues and the behaviour is normal. This confirms that the latest hacked version of quick text does have an unwonted side effect in the main Thunderbird program
1 2 3
Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum