Forum
Christoph2016-05-01 10:54:27

Help!!
I have dozens of Quicktext templates that have worked without problems since several years. Now, since thunderbird updatetd to 45.0 there are all gone and I cannot import them anymore from my backup file. It is a terrible loss for me because I write 10 to 20 mails every day unsing this wonderful program.

I hope urgently that this bug will be fised asap!!! Does anybody have a clue??
Thanks in advance
Chris
Digital Camel2016-05-01 21:05:27
Had the same problem but is easy to overcome. I'm using QuickText 09.11.6. You need to know where your xml template file is: depending on your O/S it should be something like:
C:Users[USER NAME]AppDataRoamingThunderbirdProfilesNAME.defaultquicktexttemplates.xml

Find the file. Copy it so you have a backup. Set the original file to read only - you can always unlock it if you need to add any changes.

1. Load T'bird, click on Tools -> Quicktext - this throws up a window which has Export and Import on the RHS.
2. Click on Import and direct it to the the xml file. Click the Save button (bottom right). If it's anything like mine, the small window remains after saving.
3. Click on close and a smaller window should appear which says (Save/Don't Save/Close). Click on save - don't worry that the window still sits there. Just open up an email by clicking on "write" in Tbird.
4. Quicktext should now be visible on the email bar in the new blank email.
5. *Now* go back to the small window and click on don't save and the Quicktext window will vanish.

As long as you don't close Tbird, you'll have Quicktext operating all day. Once you close Tbird then you'll have to repeat the process. QT should remember where the xml file is so the next time you click on Import it should go straight to the subdirectory where you can tell it to "open" the file. This whole procedure adds about 20-30s to your startup each day but it's better than the time you'd have to spent without access to Quicktext.

Hope that helps. If the instructions don't work then let me know - they work for me but I may not have written them clearly enough.
RDL19842016-05-01 21:11:08
@Christoph (2016-05-01 10:54:27)

> I have dozens of Quicktext templates that have worked without problems since several years. Now, since thunderbird updatetd to 45.0 there are all gone and I cannot import them anymore from my backup file.

a) There is available a ready to install fixed version of * free * Quicktext.

b) For legal reasons, no such is possible for the Pro (paid for) version. However, a patch (an edit to the .xpi file) has been made available which works for Quicktext Pro, and users able to may apply that for themselves.

c) The best way to recover your templates is,

if you had 'Exported' them before updating to TB45.0, then,
AFTER installing the fixed version of Quicktext/Quicktext Pro,
if necessary, import them from your previous export file.

If that does not work or you have no pre-TB45.0 template 'Export' file, then
Uninstall TB45.0,
Reinstall the TB version you were using before,
Restore your TB profile from a pre-TB45.0 backup/copy
Install the fixed version of Quicktext/Quicktext Pro
Check that everything is working OK
Update (again) to TB45.0

If that is not possible or does not work,
but you have a pre-TB45.0 copy/backup of your TB profile then,
With TB45.0 installed
and the the fixed version of Quicktext/Quicktext Pro installed
try the solution suggested in the forum thread/topic mentioned below,
ie: copying the Quicktext folder from the backup TB profile to the current TB profile AND
the Quicktext lines from the 'prefs.js' file in the backup TB profile
to the (new if none already exists) 'user.js' file in the current TB profile.

For details of how to get the fixed free Quicktext or make the fixed Quicktext pro, install etc, please very carefully read every post (except duplicates) in the following forum thread/topic. Note there are at least two pages and you should read it all at least once before trying anything.
It also includes links to other sites and you will need to know what those contain.

Hesslow Extensions > Quicktext > Support & Help > Quicktext on Thunderbird 45

http://extensions.hesslow.se/forum/thread/750/Quicktext+on+Thunderbird+45/?start=0

Digital Camel2016-05-01 22:12:46
Apologies, the version I have is the free one and my initial instructions are not quite correct - i.e. wrong (sorry"!). Yes, I've read the other pages and the use of Notepad ++ - but what I do works too.

You still need to know where template.xml is , and have a backup and make the origial read only.

1. Load Tbird and load a blank email -> Write.

2. On the *email menu bar* (not main window) Tools->Quicktext. The QT Settings window appears.

3. Click on Import and direct to template.xml. Click on Open (Bottom rhs of window)

4. In QT Settings window click on "save" then "close".

5. New window appears "Your changes have not been saved...." Click on Save.

6. The blank email should now have the Quicktext "New Group" button. Very important - Leave the email open.

7. Go back to QT Settings window "Close" -> "Don't Save"

QT is now operating on all emails you write as long as you don't close the main Tbird program. Repeat process the next day - except that QT should have learnt where templates.xml is on clicking import.
RDL19842016-05-02 21:33:50
@ Digital (Camel2016-05-01 21:05:27)
> Had the same problem but is easy to overcome..

> ..As long as you don't close Tbird, you'll have Quicktext operating all
> day. Once you close Tbird then you'll have to repeat the process..

> ..Yes, I've read the other pages and the use of Notepad ++ - but what I do works too.

Well, thanks, that is certainly interesting and perhaps helpful for some users but why do you want to use a circumvention which you have to repeat every time you start Thunderbird? Even if you only do that once a day or even week, that's one more thing you have to remember every time and if all your "fixes" are like that you must spend a lot of time just avoiding what could be fixed permanently and thenceforth forgotten.

Many users close most of their programs each time, and as soon as, they finish actively using them. Many also choose to close their computers down at least once a day. Repeating avoidances every time is a tiring distraction, isn't it?

Most of the other posts, on these forums, bugzilla and AMO aim to, as far as possible, permanently cure the problems without leaving users with multiple daily tasks. Isn't that more desirable?

Do you have an address for the post mentioning 'Notepad ++'? If I have seen that, I don't recall it and it might be worth a read. Thanks.
sauberzof@gmail.com2016-05-03 13:44:21
here is the link to the fixed xpi:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c17

xpi:
http://mesquilla.net/betas/quicktext-20160419.xpi
RDL19842016-05-03 20:52:48
@sauberzof@gmail.com 2016-05-03 13:44:21

> here is the link to the fixed xpi:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c17

> xpi:
> http://mesquilla.net/betas/quicktext-20160419.xpi

Which is for a fixed version of the * free * Quicktext (and was referenced several times in the thread I referenced above.

Users of the paid-for 'Quicktext Pro' have to apply the edits to the .xpi file themselves. The details are also discussed in that thread I referenced above.

Even after either of those fixes, many users discovered they still had lost access to their templates.

Normally, after updating Quicktext with the fix, just
closing TB,
replacing the Quicktext folder in the current TB profile
with the one from a pre-TB45.0 backup of the TB profile
and re-starting TB

should be enough.

Where that is not enough to recover access to the templates, that problem had various suggested solutions, some of which were permanent.
RDL19842016-05-27 02:35:30
@AllUsers: Please note latest posts on this bug report.

1209425 â Quicktext Addon - Technical Problem.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c58

and see here that the currently new latest _free_ version on AMO (Mozilla Add-ons) works on TB45.

Quicktext :: Add-ons for Thunderbird
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/quicktext/

RDL19842016-05-27 02:38:08
Thanks very much to rkent for this
RDL19842016-06-03 04:38:33
@All Quicktext Pro users: Good news!

Please see following Mozilla Bugzilla post by rkent.

1209425 - Quicktext Addon - Technical Problem - Comment 69 at:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425#c69

Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum