Forum
faginbagin2016-08-16 08:36:17
I'm trying to help a friend who lives in Denmark set up Thunderbird on her MacBook. I have confirmed the issue I'm reporting also exists on Windows 10. Both machines are running TB 45.2.0.

We've been configuring various templates and signatures with custom fonts, color and sometimes bold and italic styles. We have been using the method of constructing the desired text using TB's html editor and saving the "message" as a file, then saving a QuickText template that references the file using Variables -> Other -> File and specifying the template be inserted as HTML. This seems quite workable for someone who has no interest in learning HTML. However...

We are having trouble with Danish characters like å (lower case a ring, byte code sequence 195 165 base 10) and æ (lower case ae ligature, byte code sequence 195 166 base 10). The HTML file saved by TB displays properly in both Safari and Chrome (Chrome on both OS X El Capitan and Windows 10). However, when we use QuickText to paste the html file into a new message, the å and æ are transformed into Ã¥ (capital A tilde and Yen) and æ (capital A tilde and broken vertical bar) respectively. I believe what's happening is the utf-8 encoded characters are being decoded as either iso-8859-1 or windows-1252. In those encodings:
195 base 10 is capital A tilde
165 base 10 is Yen
166 base 10 is broken vertical bar

I have checked everywhere TB allows one to specify character encodings, and they're all set to UTF-8. Plus, the html file clearly indicates the character encoding is utf-8 via the following meta tag:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

Some code somewhere is ignoring the meta tag and the character encodings specified in TB. Is it a QuickText bug, or is it a Thunderbird bug?

Here's the contents of the file saved from TB's Write window (I hope it comes out OK):
<html>
<head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<title>DK Address</title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color="#000099">--<br>
Teglgårdsvej<br>
3050 Humlebæk<br>
--<br>
</font>
</body>
</html>
faginbagin2016-08-16 08:44:07
Well I can see this forum does not use UTF-8 encoding. The Danish characters were correct before I clicked the "Create" button, now they appear as the incorrectly decoded characters, not to mention what's happened to the capital A tildes, yens and broken vertical bars. Glad I spelled out what they're supposed to be...
MaxDamage2017-05-31 09:47:08
Same Problem here with German characters. There was a cumbersome workaround for this: Change the encoding format in thunderbird compose window to "western" or something with "windows" in it, before saving the mail as html. Importing html with Quicktext then works. Unfortunately I can't reproduce this anymore with newly generated mail templates.
This is clearly a bug in Quicktext, as an other plugin can handle this easily.
This is the plugin: https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/templateloader-en.html

Why on earth is this not in the standard addon repositories?!
Thunderbird is freaking me out sometimes!
Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum