Forum
jonjon2012-08-30 14:35:28
Hi,

I've just updated to Thunderbird 15.0 with QuickTextPro 0.9.11.3 and now some of my templates are now working anymore. I've checked the console and it is because I'm using the [[TO=firstname]] variable. Here is the error message in the console:

Error: NS_ERROR_XPC_JAVASCRIPT_ERROR_WITH_DETAILS: '[JavaScript Error: "name is null" {file: "jar:file:///C:/Users/XXX/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/7cbtg5wj.default/extensions/quicktextpro@extensions.hesslow.se.xpi!/components/wzQuicktextVar.js" line: 791}]' when calling method: [wzIQuicktextVar::parse]
Source File: chrome://quicktext/content/quicktext.js
Line: 522

Thank you for any help as this is a great loss for me.

Regards,

John.
fortress2012-09-01 02:02:54
I'm having the same issue here. Only after upgrading to Thunderbird 15.0 with QuickTextPro 0.9.11.2
tical7772012-09-06 23:40:09
Same problem here in TB15 (didn't realise it was because of the [[TO=firstname]], but sure enough). I got the canned subject appearing fine, but the body remains blank.

Quicktext is a great extension and I will happily make a donation now.

I hope this issue is resolved shortly, I'm not sure what I will do in the meantime (I suppose get rid of [[TO=firstname]]...).

Thank you for the great tool.
Martin1232012-09-12 10:22:34
I looked into the code of quicktext_0.9.11.3.xpi. It seems that the problem comes from a change in the function

parser.parseHeadersWithArray(this.mWindow.gMsgCompose.compFields.to, emailAddresses, names, fullAddresses);

In cases there are no "names", before TB15 empty strings were returned. Now, null values are returned. Therefore you get the error "name is null" which jonjon reports in the forum Bug Reports.

If you make the following changes, it works again:

content/wzQuicktextVar.js Line 602: if (name != "") --> if (name != null)
content/wzQuicktextVar.js Line 646: if (name != "") --> if (name != null)

The other error that kiravi reports concerning the use of [[CURSOR]] seems to come from a change in the function Editor.deleteSelection(0). I don't now why or how this function changed, but if you use Editor.selection.deleteFromDocument() instead it works again:

chromecontentquicktext.js Line 442: aEditor.deleteSelection(0); --> aEditor.selection.deleteFromDocument();

With these changes at least my templates work again. It would be nice if the Quicktext developers could check this an make the changes if.

best regards

Martin
RDL19842012-09-13 02:29:10
Dear Martin123

Many thanks for your fix. I have applied it to QuickText_0.9.11.3 and, so far, it works for me in TB 15.0.1 on Win XP SP3.

My usual simple TB confidence test was affected by both the problems you addressed so that cure is most welcome.

Is there any way you could attach the fixed version on this site or some other trustworthy site like Mozillazine so people could download it without having to know how to do the fix for themselves?

Regards

RDL
Martin1232012-09-13 12:03:45
Dear RDL,

I agree that a fixed downloadable version would be the best solution. Unfortunately I am just a normal user and have no upload access to this side. And since the Quicktext code is owned by Emil Hesslow, I can not attach it to Mozillazine.

I tried to contact Emil Hesslow via the contact formular. Perhaps some others can contact him, perhaps via twitter or linkedin.

Regards

Martin

PS: poger67 posted a step-by-step for the fix in the forum Support&Help
lzlhero2012-10-09 05:58:23
I'm a normal user just like you, but I also a JavaScript developer used to develop Mozilla extensions. I'd like to give you guys a modified version of quicktext, and I use it everyday.

First, I have fixed issues mentioned at this page.

In additions, I have added two variables, which are [[HOME]] and [[END]] to control the inserted text position.

So, don't hesitate. Download it below.
http://www.jsbug.com/download/quicktext.mod.zip
Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum