Forum
rkent2015-12-08 22:39:31
Hi, rkent here again from the Thunderbird team.

It seems my Quicktext was working up to Thunderbird 43, but is no longer working in Thunderbird 44. Meanwhile we are getting ready for the next major release, which is Thunderbird 45, which should release in March 2016. It would be good to get Quicktext working again.

From my experience with Thunderbird 38, Emil accepted a patch and updated the addon on AMO. Let's assume that the same will work again. So if anyone has specific fixes to propose that will get QuickText working again, please propose them. If I don't respond here, feel free to email me at rkent@caspia.com.
Chuck2016-02-15 01:13:29
Just e-mailed you to request that attachments be looked at.
rkent2016-02-16 06:28:04
There is a post in the review section of the Mozilla addons site that claims to have a fix for the attachment problem.

For Thunderbird 45, the change needed was trivial. The QueryInterface is incorrect, use this instead:

QueryInterface: XPCOMUtils.generateQI([
Components.interfaces.nsIObserver,
Components.interfaces.nsISupportsWeakReference,
Components.interfaces.nsIFactory,
])

I'll try contact the guy who has the attachment fix, and see if I can get him to add this change with his, and propose a working version.
Prashant39752016-02-22 14:38:58
My Templets Goes Missing in TB 45 Even Same Happen in Daily.

but works in Stable version of 32bit.

Please Help me to Solve this Problem.
karlbu2016-02-25 15:30:15
Does QuickText now work with Thunderbird beta 45B?
sverlan2016-03-01 11:58:55
Are there some news for QuickText on TB 45? I tried to modify the QueryInterface as suggested, but still do not get anything working...
GayzeN2016-04-17 14:50:45
Just confirming that some workarounds stated for the broken QuickText in Thunderbird v.38 did work. Now, Thunderbird 45 has broken QuickText badly again, and the workarounds no longer do the trick.

This is a very popular Add-on that a lot of people depend on. I, personally, would not be able to run my business without it.

If anyone has found a workaround for fixing QuickText with Thunderbird 45, please share.

If anyone is able to take over the development of this Add-on, it would be fabulous.

We need our QuickText back ASAP.
RDL19842016-04-18 05:49:40
@rkent
"For Thunderbird 45, the change needed was trivial. The QueryInterface is incorrect, use this instead:

QueryInterface: XPCOMUtils.generateQI([
Components.interfaces.nsIObserver,
Components.interfaces.nsISupportsWeakReference,
Components.interfaces.nsIFactory,
])"

In TB 45.0 on Win 7 x64 SP1

(a) I tried replacing the "QueryInterface: XPCOMUtils.." line in all of the six .js files which contained it in the 'components' folder in the .xpi file (..quicktext,..group,..header,..script,..template,..var) with your piece of code.

That did not fix the problem.

Note that I had removed the newlines from your code, and separated the three parameters with commas but no spaces. This would normally make no difference in my experience, and the original was, in each case, all on one line.

(b) I then tried removing the last comma (",") in your code in all six files (since I'm not used to seeing commas just before the final brackets in code) but that did not help either.

(c) Please explain/specify how to do this, giving
name of every file which must be edited in the xpi,
what text must be searched and replaced in each file,
and confirm the new text to insert (and any special format, if required).

(d) Are there any consequential changes to be made elsewhere, in calls on and/or declarations of, the QueryInterface function?

If so, please explain/specify in similar manner.

Thank you very much

RDL
fireflynz2016-04-19 02:03:30
With a similar setup to @RDL1984 (also TB 45.0 on Win 7 x64 SP1) I'd be very pleased to see Quicktext returning to a functioning state. I can't help hitting alt-9 and staring blankly at the screen when text fails to appear...
hGreen2016-04-19 15:11:34
I found a way to get the Reply button to show up so that you can reply with a Quicktext template. Hopefully this will help locate the problem so that it can get permanently fixed. When you first start Thunderbird open any email and click reply. The reply button with your Quicktext templates will NOT be there. (For some reason you need to make this 1st unsuccessful reply attempt or the fix won't work) Close the the reply attempt. Next, click on Tools/Quicktext. The Quicktext Settings window will pop up. Click File and when the File menu drops down just click Save. Close the Quicktext Settings window. You will find that the next time you try to to reply to an email the "Reply" button will be where you expect it to be and work just like before the update. The only problem with this solution is that you need to do it every time you restart Thunderbird.
hGreen2016-04-19 16:41:46
I found a way to get the Reply button to show up so that you can reply with a Quicktext template. Hopefully this will help locate the problem so that it can get permanently fixed. When you first start Thunderbird open any email and click reply. The reply button with your Quicktext templates will NOT be there. (For some reason you need to make this 1st unsuccessful reply attempt or the fix won't work) Close the the reply attempt. Next, click on Tools/Quicktext. The Quicktext Settings window will pop up. Click File and when the File menu drops down just click Save. Close the Quicktext Settings window. You will find that the next time you try to to reply to an email the "Reply" button will be where you expect it to be and work just like before the update. The only problem with this solution is that you need to do it every time you restart Thunderbird.
somjue2016-04-19 18:36:54
I applied the patch from
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425
Here you can download the patched xpi file which can installed in thunderbird:
http://share.emailto.ch/51705-quicktext0.xpi (link valid until 2016-05-18)
Works for me with Thunderbird 45.
(I'm not the programmer and only distribute the patched xpi file)
RDL19842016-04-20 00:29:43
@rkent: Thanks very much indeed for your fix in

Comment 7 of https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1209425

and thanks to somjue for pointing us to bugzilla(!) for that fix.

I've now been able to repeat my update to TB45.0, which I previously backed out because of this problem.

Note that, if you wish to apply the fix yourself, you must start from QuickText 0.9.11.5, which can be obtained from QuickText's "other versions" page on AMO.

I found the "diff" side-by-side view linked in comment 7 on the bugzilla report made the editing process much clearer and simpler.

Users of [CURSOR] may need to be reminded that they will also need to reapply Martin123's fix (2012-09-12 10:22:34) from

Hesslow Extensions
http://extensions.hesslow.se/forum/thread/620/Error+with+variable+%5B%5BTO%3Dfirstname%5D%5D+in+Thunderbir/

You only need the third line edit in that post* and the line number may have changed - but it only occurs once in that file.

*(ie: chrome/content/quicktext.js Line ?442?:
change line containing:
aEditor.deleteSelection(0);
to:
aEditor.selection.deleteFromDocument();

The fix which the first two line edits addressed was already dealt with in 0.9.11.5)
vexillia2016-04-20 11:00:11
I can confirm that @rkent's edits also work with quicktextpro. Now if someone could fix the attachment issue we'd be on a winner.
RDL19842016-04-21 01:54:17
All users of the free version, particularly the helpless ones, might like to look at Comment 17 in that bug report.
Ray Kremer2016-04-21 18:02:54
rkent,
You are my hero. The update for TB 45 popped up on my system today and I let it install, then panicked when I saw my Quicktext templates (That I set up for everybody in my office to use) were gone. I thought maybe I would have to wait a few days for Mr. Hesslow to post a new version with a fix. I did not even know he is no longer maintaining his programs.

Quicktext was exactly what I was looking for when I found it many years ago, and life would be very difficult without it. (I think I would have to resort to duplicating my templates in a text file and keeping it always open to copy/paste things from.)
Algy2016-04-22 10:37:31
A simple question. Where is the code located that needs modifying? (I'm using Windows 7).
Algy2016-04-22 12:01:10
Hmmm, maybe I don't need to know where the code is, since looking at comment 17 (on Bugzilla link above) gave me the fixed Quicktext version.

Like many I use Qucktext for my small business and rely on it. If it isn't supported by it's author and we depend on the goodness of @rkent to fix bugs then it is leaving those of us who do need it exposed.

If TB won't officially provide the equivalent functionality, I wonder what other email client does?
RDL19842016-04-22 20:14:50
@Ray Kremer 2016-04-21 18:02:54 "rkent, You are my hero.."
And rather a brave one too, if you think about it..

@Algy 2016-04-22 12:01:10 "Hmmm, maybe I don't need to know where the code is, since looking at comment 17 (on Bugzilla link above) gave me the fixed Quicktext version."

If the free version has all the features you need, then comment 17 is your current best solution. I don't know if you have to pay for a licence (no spam please :D ) but so long as you cover yourself, I imagine using the free version would be included.

If not, then you need to apply those patches to the pro version. the .xpi file you need to edit is

quicktext-0.9.11.5-tb.xpi

which you can download from
bottom of AMO "Qucktext" page
"Version Information" (open the drop down arrows) > "other versions"
Find version 0.9.11.5 in the list
Hover (your mouse cursor)around the righthand side of that entry
until the "Download Now" button appears button
Right-click the button
Choose "Save Link As.."
Choose a suitable one of your own olders in which to save it
and do so.

Easiest) Use 7-Zip to open (Open Archive") and navigate through the .xpi file

In "Comment 7" of the bug report,
click on "[diff]" to see what the changes are and in what file.

In 7-Zip
========
Open the .xpi file you downloaded.
For each file to be edited in the .xpi (see "[diff]")
Navigate to it
Right-click it and
Choose "Edit"
Apply your edits

In the 7-zip, editor, I search for the text in the .xpi files but you may be using an editor which includes line numbers - so you can use them.

When you've done all the edits for that file
Save (NOT "Save As")
Close the editor (NOT 7-Zip)
Agree to update the archive

Navigate to the next file you need to edit
and so on..

When you have finished all required edits and all files have been updated in the archive
Use the 7-Zip up-arrow to back right out of the .xpi file

and up to a safe distance from the folder it's in.

Close 7-Zip

You're ready to use the new .xpi file to install the new version using "Install Add-on from File" in the cogwheel dropdown menu in the Thunderbird Extensions Manager window.

Make a backup of your profile first!!

When you've tested your update OK then you may wish to apply more patches, such as the on for [CURSOR]
If you do, you may apply it/them to the new file you already made.
Use the same editing technique to find the text and change it in the correct file(s) according to the patch instructions but, of course, you won't have a "[diff]" to guide you.
RDL19842016-04-22 20:16:10
@Ray Kremer 2016-04-21 18:02:54 "rkent, You are my hero.."
And rather a brave one too, if you think about it..

@Algy 2016-04-22 12:01:10 "Hmmm, maybe I don't need to know where the code is, since looking at comment 17 (on Bugzilla link above) gave me the fixed Quicktext version."

If the free version has all the features you need, then comment 17 is your current best solution. I don't know if you have to pay for a licence (no spam please :D ) but so long as you cover yourself, I imagine using the free version would be included.

If not, then you need to apply those patches to the pro version. the .xpi file you need to edit is

quicktext-0.9.11.5-tb.xpi

which you can download from
bottom of AMO "Qucktext" page
"Version Information" (open the drop down arrows) > "other versions"
Find version 0.9.11.5 in the list
Hover (your mouse cursor)around the righthand side of that entry
until the "Download Now" button appears button
Right-click the button
Choose "Save Link As.."
Choose a suitable one of your own olders in which to save it
and do so.

Easiest) Use 7-Zip to open (Open Archive") and navigate through the .xpi file

In "Comment 7" of the bug report,
click on "[diff]" to see what the changes are and in what file.

In 7-Zip
========
Open the .xpi file you downloaded.
For each file to be edited in the .xpi (see "[diff]")
Navigate to it
Right-click it and
Choose "Edit"
Apply your edits

In the 7-zip, editor, I search for the text in the .xpi files but you may be using an editor which includes line numbers - so you can use them.

When you've done all the edits for that file
Save (NOT "Save As")
Close the editor (NOT 7-Zip)
Agree to update the archive

Navigate to the next file you need to edit
and so on..

When you have finished all required edits and all files have been updated in the archive
Use the 7-Zip up-arrow to back right out of the .xpi file

and up to a safe distance from the folder it's in.

Close 7-Zip

You're ready to use the new .xpi file to install the new version using "Install Add-on from File" in the cogwheel dropdown menu in the Thunderbird Extensions Manager window.

Make a backup of your profile first!!

When you've tested your update OK then you may wish to apply more patches, such as the on for [CURSOR]
If you do, you may apply it/them to the new file you already made.
Use the same editing technique to find the text and change it in the correct file(s) according to the patch instructions but, of course, you won't have a "[diff]" to guide you.
1 2 3
Create post
You need to login before posting in the forum